How can food pleasure drive healthy eating habits?
Food pleasure is of one of the most important drivers of human dietary behavior. However, its role is complex and further research is needed to understand its effects completely. Food pleasure has multiple aspects: it can be related to product characteristics (nutrition facts, food composition, presentation, packaging, organoleptic qualities and so on), but it is also closely linked to consumer personality and expectations (themselves influenced by prior experiences). Moreover, the physiological mechanisms associated with food pleasure are numerous and can manifest in various contexts (for example spontaneous vs. acquired pleasure, emotional vs. sensorial pleasure).
Thus, we will try the answer the following questions:
- What exactly is food pleasure?
- How can food pleasure lead to balanced dietary habits?
To tackle these questions, experts and researchers from different fields (including nutrition physiology, neuroscience, psychology and consumer sciences) will discuss the crucial role that food pleasure plays in eating habits. They will highlight the fact that food pleasure can have various effects on health, sometimes potentially negative ones, but they will also discuss how food pleasure can be considered as a potential driver for behavioral changes.
The symposium will be composed of three thematic sessions.
- Firstly, the physiological, and especially the neurobiological aspects of food pleasure, will be discussed. Is food only limited to sensory experience during consumption? How can modern scientific techniques confirm consumer study based results?
- In the second session, food pleasure will be presented as a key driver of eating behaviors in humans. How does food pleasure lead to dietary habits ?
- Finally, we will focus on the links between food pleasure and health. How can food pleasure leverage healthy eating habits?